Last Sunrise of 2014

Australia, Australian Landscape Photographer, landscape, Narrabeen, New South Wales, Northern Beaches, NSW, Philip Avellana, rock pool, seascape, sunray
Continue The Struggle to 2015


This is the last day of 2014 and I decided to have my last seascape photoshoot.  A friend of mine, Garrie, invited me to shoot and I'm very keen to come.  At first, I didn't woke up on time.  I made an alarm but somehow it didn't trigger.  When I woke up, I immediately pick up my things and rushed to the car.  Good thing I prepared all my equipment last night.  I made it on time, just 15 minutes before the actual sunrise.

Garrie wanted to shoot at Narrabeen Rock Pool, thus I drove there as fast as possible.  Although I made it 15 minutes before time, I noticed it was cloudy.  From where I'm positioned, I can say that the sky is covered 95% of the time.  If there are breaks at the clouds, it's only minimal.  It's all grey than blue.

I didn't see the actual sunrise.

Although it's cloudy and the sun is already on top of the horizon,  I still went to my favorite spot and prepared to shoot.  The sky didn't disappoint.  As I was preparing, the clouds begin to break.  They continue to break until the sun's rays are showing.  Amazingly, The sun rays still have a golden colour to it.

I immediately reached for my camera, stood my tripod, mount it, prepared the filters and made the settings.  

In post, I had to bring back the contrast and colours heavily.  The photo you see now is flat with very less color.  So I did curves, levels, add saturation and color adjustment layers.  I add warth to the sunrays and a bit of bluish tint on the left side of the photo.  I used a gradient mask to give that smooth transition.  I also did a dodge and burn to the pathway to give that natural contrast.


I shot with:

  • Nikon D800e
  • Nikkor 16-35mm f/4 @ 35mm, f/11
  • ISO100, 30 seconds
  • Benro Travel Angel Tripod
  • Lee 0.9 Soft Grad Filter


Location:
Narrabeen Rock Pool, Narrabeen, NSW Australia











Popular posts from this blog

Floriade 2014, AU

Jenn and Ogie Highlight Wedding Film