Watermark for Clients

Philip Avellana, Australian Landscape Photographer, NSW, Australia, New South Wales, model, glamour, portraits, Jourdan Revelle James
Jourdan Revelle James

When I do portraits, glamour, family portraits and weddings, I ensure that my client is comfortable for me to post their photos publicly.  If not, I just ask for the best 1-2 photos that I can use for my portfolio.  This usually gains positive response from them.  It's the same reason why I don't normally post portraiture in my websites - more on my landscapes and travel.

If I gain a go signal, I ensure that these photos are still protected.  The website I post into upholds and respects copyright of the photographer.  In this website, I explicitly say that my photos are copyrighted - that any kind of usage should be first have my permission. 



Philip Avellana, Australian Landscape Photographer, NSW, Australia, New South Wales, model, glamour, portraits, Nicole
Nicole

I watermark my images if I post them online.  This is a small layer of protection for the client.  At least, anyone with a good heart will not take your photo - as it's copyrighted (especially companies).  If my photos show up in searches (e.g. Google Images) at least my watermark will be shown and permission is needed prior to any type of usage.  If clients saw my image and my watermark,  at least they're assured that I do all possible steps to protect my photo, their image.

I view watermarking as part of my branding.  I'm always consistent with my watermarks and ensure that the most convenient contact details are included.   


Philip Avellana, Australian Landscape Photographer, NSW, Australia, New South Wales, model, glamour, portraits, Desa Santos
Desa Santos

It's true that the best protection for any photo is not to post it online.  But that defeats the purpose of you wanting to share your content with other close groups.  Clients do have family, relatives and close friends.  They too wanted to share their photos for all concerned parties to see and comment.  

In a sense, if their loved ones, relatives, friends liked my photo and wanted to have their own separate session, they can contact me separately.

It's also true that if one wants to steal your photo - they'll steal it anyway (whatever way).  But if you're always in that mentality, you might not share anything.  I say, just share your photos and do the best as you can to protect your content.  



Philip Avellana, Australian Landscape Photographer, NSW, Australia, New South Wales, model, glamour, portraits, Nathan Sturgess
Nathan Sturgess

Popular posts from this blog

Floriade 2014, AU

Jenn and Ogie Highlight Wedding Film